Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tribute

Whenever I first went to America in 2006 my brother showed me the original Invisible Children film and we got involved in their Global Night Commute. Since then I have followed the work of the organisation with interest, impressed by their ability to inspire others to support their work. This summer one of my interns had been quite involved in some of their campaigns and had initially hoped to journey to Uganda with Children of the Nations but found herself in a Sierra Leone that stole her heart instead. It was to her then that I naturally turned whenever I heard the news that someone from Invisible Children was among the 74 people killed by the World Cup bombs in Uganda. We were shocked by it, talked a little about it and then I all but forgot about it. Until today when I came across this video about Nate Henn.

Whenever I first went to Sierra Leone I had a couple of dreams in which the violence of its past returned and caught up to me and the children of my newly found family. These were devastating visions which I woke up from with a pounding heart. But they were just dreams. I cannot imagine the mixture of sadness, inspiration, pain, pride, love, loss and sorrow felt by the family and friends of Nate Henn as they reflect on the way he lived and the way he died.

Nate Henn // 1985 - 2010 from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...