Wednesday, July 12, 2006

12th...

It is the 12th of July...and I didn't even notice until lunch time...how strange to be in England on this most Protestant of days...

Good to see that the Ardoyne was 'relatively' calm...only one woman got nutted with a golf ball...our definitions of success, although I would not be critical of them, amuse me none the less... I tip my hat to you Jack...

It has been most interesting being in England this year and spending time with interns who are involved in politics so different from the single issue version we have at home...

Then at CSW where my opinions of our politicians are challenged... I find that those who I would generally have less time for due to their seemingly grace-less attitudes and the way they mix their protestant brand of christianity with a crass and arrogant triumphalism are those who are also interested in the human rights issues which christians face all over the world... (Not talkin bout aul Reg specifically you understand...)




Orange and purple balloons...one for every year since 1690...my gosh we are a tragic race...




And of course, we are treated to the finest totty in the NI...decked out in all their fav colours...



I will never quite work out my feelings about the 12th...part of me wants to see it as, at its heart, the fun day out that I remember sharing with my Grandfather as a child...part of me sees it as an innately divisive and sectarian animal that continues to leave orange scars in its wake...one for every year since 1690...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...