Monday, November 29, 2010

Blink

As I try to work out the best way of indulging my desire to share the stories that fascinate, educate and amuse me, without annoying every body else, I am going to try to consolidate things in to a weekly blog post I will be calling ‘Blink’...a beyond cunning combination of blog and link that has probably only been used 767 times before...

So, here goes:

Witchcraft and superstition in Africa continues to challenge and trouble me, as I imagine it will do for quite some time. Check out this video about 'The Witches of Gambaga'.

You don't do much on-line research about Liberia before you come across the story of Pastor Joshua Blahyi. His story is used by numerous journalists and film-makers to pose the huge questions of forgiveness, redemption, evil, justice and reconciliation which strike anyone looking at post-war Liberia. The reason this pastor's story is so fascinating is because he wasn't always called 'Pastor Joshua' - during the war he was fearfully known as General Butt Naked.

A piece on the impact the global economic crisis has had on efforts to reduce carbon emissions with some comment on President Sirleaf's position in Liberia - The Green Cage.

A UN video clip about Liberia's women.

People visiting Sierra Leone are often surprised by the number of mobile phones they see in people's hands. Africa generally is a huge market for mobile communications technology and this, coupled with how few people take part in any form of traditional banking, is a situation that has been jumped on by some perceptive business types. The result is a rapidly growing system of mobile banking.

I enjoyed this look at the paradoxical nature of what Americans want. And it all begins with Seattle's love of candy...

And finally...

Who doesn't love Harry Hill?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...